Aerial view of the new Royal Adelaide Hospital site at the west end of North Terrace as of June 7, 2012 courtesy of radio 891.
Prior to the start of building, medical staff opposed a shift in location. They argued for re-development of the existing complex, pointing out that the present position was ideal in many ways. It shares the site with the Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science pathology facility; adjacent are the Dental and Medical Schools; whilst the other side of quiet and leafy Frome Road lies the campus of the University of Adelaide.
The Eastern Wing of the hospital overlooks the lovely Adelaide Botanic gardens to the east, and there are parklands to the north. North Terrace along the southern boundary provides easy patient and visitor access via existing public transport. Further west along tree-lined North Terrrace are the elegant buildings of Elder Hall, the Museum and the Art Gallery. Just across North Terrace there is ample public parking, the shops, restaurants and cinemas of Rundle Street East, and attractive apartments.
The Royal Adelaide Hospital has provided excellence in medical care since 1840 at its present location. The tradition remains but the new site is one mile away at the other end of a congested North Terrace along which traffic moves at a tortuously slow speed. Many will deplore the move from the elegant eastern end of the terrace to the noisy and brash West End, home of the Adelaide Casino, and the bars and night clubs of Hindley Street.
Categories: Community Issues