A summary of the Half Year Production Report (2H 2012) for BHP-BILLITON 23/01/13
- Total production was 121 million barrels of oil equivalent. Total year estimate 240 mboe
- Crude oil, condensate and natural gas liquids – up 4% in Sept quarter due to growth in Onshore US liquids.
- Seasonal reduction in Bass Strait production.
- Decline in production at Pyrenees Offshore Oil Field in Exmouth WA sub-basin.
- Record Onshore US Liquids production of 48 thousand barrels per day in 4Q 2012..
- Drilling program in liquids-rich Eagle Ford and Permian areas expected to increase production
- Lower natural gas production 4Q 2012 following a strong production in 3Q
Alumina – The 85% owned Worsley mine and refinery in SW Western Australia contributed to record alumina production.
Aluminium – 10% increase in production at Hillside, South Africa.
Nickel – 6% decline in 4Q 2012 due to maintenance at the West Kalgoorlie smelter and Kwinana refinery.
- copper concentrate production increased 70% in 2H 2012 at Escondida (Chile) The copper grade increased, by 1.39%
- record copper production at Antamina (Peru)
- 26% reduction at Olympic Dam due to a planned smelter outage.
- Lower production at Cannington near Mt Isa in Queensland. It is a low cost producer.
Zinc – production in line with comparable periods.
Uranium – 8% increase in production at Olympic Dan as a result of improved plant availability
DIAMONDS & SPECIALTY PRODUCTS
EKATI (Canada) production was lower
Diamond businesses to be sold to Harry Winston Diamond Mines Ltd for US$500 million if approved in 1H 2013
West Australian Iron Ore (WAIO) delivered its 12th 2H production and sales record.
The installation of a fifth car dumper on Finucane Island has increased the Port Headland capacity from 188 to 220 million tonnes per annum.
BHP anticipates that with a 5% increase in production in 2013 the present guidance of 183 million tonnes will be met.
This summary of BHP’s 2H 2012 production report highlights the complexities and breadth of BHP-BILLITON’s operations.
The report is positive for 2012/13 profitability with iron ore and copper the best performing activities.
The Petroleum division has the potential for significant growth from US shale oil and gas.
- BHP Billiton reports increased iron-ore production for Q2 in 2012-13 (coal.energy-business-review.com)
- BHP axes coal costs, fuels aluminum writedown speculation (mining.com)
- BHP shares rise in record production (bigpondnews.com)
- BHP Says Alumina, Nickel Units Pressured, Spurring Sale Talk – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Olympic Dam copper production dips (abc.net.au)